If you know how to make your own sauces, endless possibilities open up in the culinary world. This pesto sauce recipe is a variation of the first “gourmet” sauce I ever made back in college about 15 years ago. I’ve enjoyed pesto ever since. There is so much you can add it to: pizza, pasta, chicken, lasagne, calzones and more…. Here I have used spinach.
- -2 cups of loose fresh spinach
- -1/2 cup olive oil
- -1/3 cup Parmesan cheese
- -1 T garlic (or more as desired)
- -Optional 1 T dried basil (fresh is better, but I didn't have any at the time)
- Put all ingredients in a blender, and blend until you receive the desired consistency.
- You can store in the refrigerator for up to a week or freeze with a layer of olive oil on top for up to 6 months.
You can take half of the pesto sauce and add another 1/3 to 3/4 cup of olive oil and mix it in to your favorite pasta (freeze the rest of the pesto sauce for a rainy day). Below is a picture of pasta some thoughtful friends gave us for our kids (thank you Julie and Clan). Can you see a ship shaped pasta somewhere?
Go here for a complete list of recipes.
We would love to hear from you! Feel free to comment. Get free e-mail updates by subscribing here. Follow us on Facebook and Twitter.
Other recipes you may enjoy:
Basil Pesto & Sourdough Pizza Crust
Shared @ Seasonal Recipe Round-Up, Whole Foods Wednesday, Allergy-Free Wednesdays, & Seasonal Inspirations.