So I set a goal for myself to be able to press my 70# KB three times per side on September 1. I am very confident I’ll get there, because I’m close now…though I have never done it before.
That goal coupled with some good eatin’ has me feeling pretty good this week. Here’s what the week looked like:
- 5 Clean and Press Ladders (53# KB): 4 rungs
- 200 KB Swings for time (53# KB)
This was my “heavy” day, and I was really pleased with the results. I last did this workout on June 11. On that day I completed all the C&P’s but it seems to me they were easier this time, which is encouraging. But the real progress was again on the swings. I PR’ed with a time of 6:58 on June 11. This time ’round I worked smarter yet again and completed the 200 swings in 6:35!! So I was pretty stoked. I did the following sets with 10-15 seconds’ rest between sets: 40/35/35/25/25/35.
8/7/6/5/4/3/2/1 reps of…
A) Bench Press (175#)
B) Lat rows (160#)
C) Leg extensions (no idea how much weight)
This was a circuit that I did with a friend, but I cannot vouch for the weights we were using, really, except the bench press. It was my variety day, and it was kind of fun, so I was glad for the change of pace. But since I hadn’t done bench of any kind for many weeks, I was pretty sore for a couple of days in the chest.
- TGU’s (53# KB) for five minutes, alternating sides after each rep
- 5 Clean and Press Ladders (53# KB): 2 rungs
- Snatches (53# KB). Roll the dice to determine the number of minutes to snatch at 50% effort
On the snatches I rolled a 9, so I determined to go with five reps per side, per minute, for the 9 minutes. It was a good choice. Overall, this was a pretty easy workout because the C&P ladders were light, and because it was supposed to be a light day.
- TGU’s (53# KB) for seven minutes, alternating sides after each rep
- 5 Clean and Press Ladders (53# KB): 3 rungs
- Snatches (53# KB). Roll the dice to determine the number of minutes to snatch at 75% effort
My third workout of the week with only one 53# KB and again, it was a good one. I was really encouraged by the presses; they were just flying right up! The snatches were harder. I rolled an 8, so I decided to do 8 per side per minute, since I know that to be about 80 of what I am capable of. So I still had some gas in the tank at the end, but that’s good.
As always, your comments and questions are welcome!
Go here to see other workout ideas.