I was looking for a recipe for my Abbie girl’s 5th birthday class party, and my friend Susan had this great recipe. I subsequently used it for my Ellie girl’s 7th birthday class party, too! I doesn’t even have any eggs in it, but you would think it does. I did a few modifications on it.
No, my cupcakes aren’t molding; I put some sprinkles in the cake batter for extra fun.
- -3 cups whole wheat flour
- -3/4-1 cup unrefined sugar (I used Trader Joe's Evaporated Cane Juice)
- -2 t baking soda
- -1/3 cup cocoa powder
- -1 t salt
- -2 T vinegar
- -2/3 cup coconut oil (for vegan) or butter, softened
- -2 t vanilla extract
- -2 cups water
- -3 T trimix (equal parts wheat bran, wheat germ, & oat bran)
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees.
- Mix by hand, but don't over mix.
- Pour into a greased 9x13 pan.
- Bake for 35-40 minutes
- Cool, frost, and enjoy!
- 1 cup macadamia nuts
- 1/2 cup butter (coconut oil or Earth Balance for vegan)
- 1-2 cups organic powdered sugar
- 3 T milk (I use almond milk-makes it Vegan, but any type of milk will do)
- 1/3 cup cocoa powder
- Blend all ingredients in a high powered blender until smooth.
- Spread on cooled cake or cupcakes.
The Verdict: This is such a hit with kids! I have been making ice cream cone cupcakes for the class birthdays for the last few years. If you are going to make it in the ice cream cones, make sure you only fill the cones 2/3 of the way full. Place the 2/3 filled cones in a muffin tin to help stabilize. I experimented with baking them timing-wise. Bake for 18 minutes and then check to see if they are done with a toothpick.
I love bringing these for class parties because they are different than a normal cupcake and they clean up easier since the kids get to eat the ice cream cone “wrapper”!
Go here for the complete list of recipes.
We would love to hear from you! Feel free to comment. Get free e-mail updates by subscribing here. Follow us on Facebook and Twitter. “Moreover, it is required of stewards that they be found faithful” (1 Corinthians 4:2 ESV). Thanks for visiting!