I think I can speak for everyone in my family; pecans are the nut of choice (although strictly speaking pecans aren’t really a nut; they are a drupe with a husk encompassing a fruit with a stone or pit). We love, love, LOVE pecans! My love started back in the days when I lived in Houston, Texas where the pecans grow on trees. My dad was a huge fan and still is to this day, and I ended up falling in love with them, too. I can’t even imagine having them at my disposal like that here in Western Washington. Here they are very expensive, but we still keep them stocked.
I haven’t been much of a fan of the texture of an actual pecan pie, but when I thought about making a pecan pie smoothie, I was really excited! I was hungry just thinking about it!
The Verdict: This recipe is so creamy and smooth! I really don’t think it needs additional sugar, as even verified by my 3, 5, and 7-year old taste-testers. My kids absolutely LOVE this recipe! I also lovee the additional garnish of pecans! This is a fun combination!!
Pecan Pie Smoothie Recipe
- 2 cups milk, like almond or coconut milk
- 2 bananas
- 1 cup raw pecans soaked for 1/2 hour or more
- optional, 2 T pure maple syrup (for vegan) or honey (I think the bananas make it sweet enough)
- 2 t vanilla extract
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- Pinch sea salt
- optional, 3/4 cup ice to chill
- Blend and serve immediately!
- You can garnish with pecans, granola or crushed graham crackers (make gluten free if needed) and real or vegan whipped cream.
Have you tried…?
Want a code for a free shipping on a Vitamix? Go here.