Two years ago I wanted to come up with a dairy-free pot pie filling for my sister, and I wanted to make it without cream of chicken or cream of mushroom soup. We are done buying cream of soups. Now I need it dairy-free, too!
This recipe is even healthier because I don’t put a top crust on.
- 1 1/2 cups gravy (made with warmed turkey drippings and 2 t cornstarch & 1/4 cup cold water) or use potato soup (I will freeze potato soup for this recipe)
- 1 1/2 cups of mixed vegetables (you can use a can of mixed veggies, and I have thrown in leftover roasted vegetables before-that's why you see asparagus on the first pot pie picture)
- 3/4 cups of shredded chicken or turkey
- 2 T minced garlic
- 3/4 t sea salt
- 1/2 t pepper
- dash of cayenne pepper
- 4 ingredient dairy-free/gluten-free crust, or healthier crust of choice
- Roll out dough for the crust.
- Place dough in pie plate.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Mix remaining ingredients together.
- Bake for 30-40 minutes or until center is heated thoroughly.
- Let the pie sit for about 15 minutes, and serve.
- Store leftovers in the refrigerator up to two days.
The Verdict: This is a great Thanksgiving leftover, and I always like to make two in order to save time, and money. I will throw in leftover mashed potatoes, the shredded turkey, and a little stuffing, too! This is a versatile and flexible recipe.
You might have a little filling left over, which is great to make mini pot pies. The kids LOVE having their own individual pies!!