A few weeks ago I got a flyer in the mail from a local clinic with a recipe for Quinoa Black Bean Burgers which the clinic adapted from allrecipes.com. The recipe was so intriguing, I had to make it right away! I have made it at least four times since. I adapted the recipe to be egg-free and gluten-free.
Typically, I like to have a crock-pot meal going on since I teach piano some afternoons. But when I don’t have a whole lot of time and I haven’t put anything together for dinner, this is a great recipe to make. This might seem like an involved recipe, but if you have the quinoa cooked, the recipe really does come together quickly! Plus, it’s so tasty!
This may also transfer well to the barbecue grill.
- 1 cup cooked organic quinoa (about 1/4 cup uncooked, simmered with 1/2 cup water)
- 1 1/2 cups of organic black beans, or one 15 oz. can drained, rinsed, divided
- 2 flax or chia seed “eggs” blended (1 T seeds blended with 3 T water=1 egg), or you can substitute 2 cage free eggs
- 1/2 cup oats (gluten-free if needed)
- 1/4 cup bell pepper color of choice, minced
- 2 T onion, minced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 t hot pepper sauce (optional)
- 1 t cumin
- 1/8 t black pepper
- 2 T grape seed or olive oil
- If you haven't cooked the quinoa, cook it on the stove top like you would rice, simmering for about 15-20 minutes or until the water has been absorbed (or I crock-pot my quinoa for practically perfect quinoa every time: 1 cup quinoa to 2 cups of water on high for 2 1/2 hours and use the leftovers for something else).
- Food process or blend the oats until a course flour.
- Place processed oats in a large bowl.
- If you are using an egg substitute, blend the 2 T flax or chia seeds with 6 T water.
- Place the cooked quinoa and one cup of black beans in a food processor or blender with the "eggs" until blended.
- Combine all of the ingredients in the large bowl, and stir until combine.
- Form patties.
- Heat 2 T grape seed or olive oil in a cast iron skillet.
- Place patties in the heated skillet, cooking approximately 2 to 3 minutes per side.
- Alternatively you can bake at 350 degrees for 15 minutes, flip, and then bake for another 15 minutes.
- Top with your favorite condiments, cilantro, avocado, tomatoes, bell peppers, onions, or your favorite vegetables.
The Verdict: So good! I can’t believe how much the burgers actually look like ground beef without having any ground beef in them! We have been eating them with sweet potato fries. My six year old, Abbie, said it’s her favorite meal besides pasta, soup, and pizza. Okay, so she enjoys a lot of different foods!
Have you tried…?
Go here for the complete list of recipes.
We would love to hear from you! Get free e-mail updates by subscribing here. Follow us on Pinterest, Facebook and Twitter. “Moreover, it is required of stewards that they be found faithful” (1 Corinthians 4:2 ESV). Thanks for visiting!