Well school’s almost in session here, so it’s time to update my semi-annual Whole Foods Grocery Prices to Meet or Beat. I am finding that every six months is a great time to update these prices since food prices fluctuate and are affected by a variety of issues like a bad crop, drought, a change in gas prices, and so on. Hopefully this list will help you, especially if you are transitioning to whole foods.
Do you know the target prices for the groceries you buy the most? Here in the Pacific Northwest of Washington State, these are the prices that I look for to purchase our favorite foods and staples.
If you aren’t aware of the costs of the foods you buy, and just mindlessly purchase, I want to ask you to consider learning the target prices of the food items you buy most. Some keep a notebook full of prices, but I keep my list here.
All of the grocery prices I have listed below are approximate and come from Snohomish County, Washington, reflecting prices that I have seen in the last 6 months. I HARDLY EVER need to buy above these given prices.
If I think it might be helpful to some, I have indicated the stores where I buy the particular food.
Grocery Prices to Meet or Beat
Baking & Bulk Section
- Almond Butter $4.73/lb.-C
- Almonds, Whole Raw $4.33/lb.-C
- Baking Soda $0.48/lb.-C
- Beans, Pinto $0.91/lb.-W (or organic at our local co-op for about $1.50/lb. or so)
- Beans, Black Turtle $0.99/lb.-W (or organic at our local co-op for about $1.50/lb. or so)
- Bread $1.99/loaf Whole Grain w/o high fructose corn syrup-C (I make sourdough bread, since I can make it for $0.61/loaf and it’s soaked. It’s a total bargain!)
- Cashews, Pieces Raw $2.77/lb.-W I can’t believe I can say this price has dropped more, but it has.
- Chocolate Chip $2/lb.-C
- Coconut, Unsweetened $2.77/lb.-W
- Craisins, Dried $2.59/lb.-C
- Dates, Whole, Pitted $2.57/lb.!!-W (Still an amazing price. If you don’t have a WinCo in your area, aim for under $5 like Trader Joe’s)
- Flax Seed $0.80/lb.
- Flour, Whole Wheat Unbl $0.45/lb. (I buy the white whole wheat, which is completely whole wheat, for .50/lb. since it’s a little lighter)
- Honey $13/5 lbs.-C (I buy it BUY LOCAL when I can and pay more!)
- Oat Bran $1.13/lb.-W
- Oats, Old Fashioned $0.61/lb.
- Oats, Organic Rolled $1.10/lb.-W
- Oats, Steel Cut $0.61/lb.-W
- Olive Oil, Organic Extra Virgin $6.99/liter-C
- Peanut Butter, Natural $1.79/lb.-C (I don’t know if they are transitioning out of Adam’s PB to their own store brand, so it might be a bit more soon)
- Peanuts, Dry Roasted $1.58/lb.-W
- Pecan pieces $5.35/lb.-W
- Popcorn, Organic $1.50-$2/lb. or less-local co-op
- Quinoa, Organic $2.49/lb.-C
- Quinoa, Organic Red $3.85/lb.-W (a dramatic price drop)
- Raisins, Organic $2.20/lb.-C
- Rice, Long Grain Brown Rice $0.64/lb.
- Rice, Brown Short Grain Organic $1.12/lb.-C
- Salt, Sea $0.24/lb.-W
- Sugar, Organic Cane $1.15/lb.-C
- Tortillas, Organic $1.99/10 ct. package-Trader Joe’s (go here to see how to start bringing a Trader Joe’s to your area)
- Walnuts $5.66/lb.-C
- Wheat Berry Kernels $0.57/lb. to ground in the Vitamix for Wheat Flour
- Wheat Bran $0.39/lb.
- Wheat Germ $0.85/lb.
Our beef and dairy consumption has drastically reduced in the last year. We still believe in eating it; we just think it’s good to eat a little less. Plus meat and dairy are expensive. If I bought conventional meat, these are the prices I would pay.
- Beef, Ground Lean 20 Percent Fat $2.99/lb.
- Beef, Ground, Organic, Kirkland Signature $4.25/lb.
- Butter $1.87.lb.
- Butter, Organic $3.85/lb.-C
- Cheese, Med. Cheddar $4.99/32 oz. (or better)
- Chicken, Whole Fryers $0.99/lb.
- Chicken, Whole Fryers Organic $2.49/lb.-C -This is what I have been buying lately.
- Chicken, Legs Organic $1.79/lb.-C-This is my favorite addition to this list. I love that I can get some organic meat for under $2/lb.!!
- Eggs, Large $1.50/dozen
- Eggs, Cage-Free $2.50/dozen-Fred Meyer
- Ham All Natural Deli No Nitrates $4.98/lb. W
- Ham $1.19/lb. (freeze around Christmas and Easter)
- Milk $2.50/gallon
- Milk, Organic $2.99/half gallon-Fred Meyer
- Milk, Raw $10/gallon (I want to buy more of this to see if I can make and eat raw milk yogurt)
- Shrimp/Prawns $5.99/lb.
- Turkey $0.99/lb. or WAY better around Thanksgiving and Christmas
- Turkey, Ground $2.79/lb.-C
- Yogurt, Organic $2.99/32 oz. container-Fred Meyer
- Yogurt $0.40/6oz. (I mostly make our own yogurt, but when I see this price, I will buy it for a special treat.)
Fruit and Veggies
- Apple $0.98/lb.
- Apple, Organic $1.98/lb.-better than $2 at Trader Joe’s
- Asparagus $2.99/lb.
- Avocado, Hass $.77-.88 ea-I buy organic at Trader Joe’s when I am there which is about $1-$1.25 each.
- Bananas $0.54/lb.
- Bananas, Organic $0.89/lb.-Fred Meyer
- Bell Pepper, Green $0.58 ea
- Bell Pepper, Red $1
- Blueberries, Frozen $2.20/lb.-C
- Broccoli $1-$1.50/lb. depending on the week-a lot of times Fred Meyer has their organic at prices under $2/lb.
- Cabbage, Red & Green $0.58/lb.
- Cantaloupe $0.99/lb.
- Carrots, Whole Organic $0.55/lb.-C
- Cauliflower $1-$1.50lb.
- Celery $0.58/lb.
- Cucumbers $0.58 ea.
- Ginger Root $1.50/lb. or less-W or Trader Joe’s
- Grapefruit $4.98/5 lb. bag
- Grapes, Red or Green Seedless $2.48/lb depending on time of year (I bought organic this week for $2.29/lb. or so at Fred Meyer)
- Kale $1.38/bunch-I try to buy it for under $2 at Fred Meyer.
- Kiwi $1.78/1 lb. bag
- Lemon $0.28 ea.-I buy organic at Trader Joe’s when I am there about $2 for a pound.
- Lettuce, Romaine Hearts $2/3 Ct. Package
- Lime $0.28 ea.-I buy organic at Trader Joe’s when I am there.
- Mango $1.50 ea. or less
- Onion, Red $0.98/lb.-I buy organic at Trader Joe’s when I am there.
- Onion, Yellow $0.46/lb.-I buy organic at Trader Joe’s when I am there.
- Oranges $0.98/lb. -I buy organic at Trader Joe’s when I am there.
- Potatoes $2.98/15 lb. bag.-I buy organic at Trader Joe’s when I am there.
- Pears, Bartlett $0.98/lb.
- Pineapple $2.98 ea (depending on the time of year you can get them a lot cheaper)
- Salad Green, Organic $4/16 oz.-C
- Spinach, Organic $4/16 oz.-C
- Tomatoes, any type $1/lb. (sometimes you can get them close to $0.88/lb.)
- Zucchini Squash $1/lb.
Other Grocery Items
- Beans, Refried $0.78/16 oz. can
- Beans, Kidney, Black, Red, Chickpeas $0.50/15-16 oz. can-stocking up at Fred Meyer
- Beans, Canned Organic $1/15-16 oz. can (now Fred Meyer sells their Simple Truths brand for about $1/can!!)
- BBQ Sauce (no HFCS!) $1.25/18 oz.-or I go to Trader Joe’s which is $2 something
- Cereal, Natural $2/box-Fred Meyer
- Cereal, Organic $2.50/box (when their Simple Truth brand goes on sale at Fred Meyer)
- Coconut Oil, Organic $21.99/78 oz.-C still wins by a landslide!!
- Spaghetti Sauce $1.25/24 oz. GLASS JAR
- Spaghetti Sauce $0.99/24 oz. CAN
- Salsa, Organic $7.79/76 oz.-C
Have you seen lower prices than these? Please let us know where! Did we miss something major? We’d love you to share and for us to learn from you!!
- Go here to see the 130 + Grocery Item prices for Costco.
- Go here to see the 100 + Bulk Item prices for Winco.
Have you read…?
- What Does Your Checkbook Say About Your Heart?
- Organizing Coupons
- Couponing and Extreme Couponing or Not