Crock-Pot or Not Chicken Taquitos Recipe
- 2 cups shredded chicken, shredded meat, or ground beef will work
- 1 cup plus, 1/4 cup salsa divided
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese (leave out for dairy-free)
- 1/4 cup bell pepper, chopped
- 1/4 cup spinach, finely chopped
- 2 green onions, chopped
- 3 T cilantro, chopped
- 1 T freshly squeezed lime juice
- 1 t thyme
- 1 t chili powder
- 1/2 t cumin
- 1/2 t onion powder or use 1/4 medium onion, minced fine
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- dash cayenne pepper
- approx. 8 whole wheat tortillas (I used burrito size)
- Mix all ingredients except the tortillas and 1/4 cup of the salsa.
- Warm up tortillas to soften, if needed to roll without cracking.
- Spoon on 3 T of the chicken mixture per tortilla.
- Cover the bottom of the slow cooker with 1/4 cup of the salsa.
- Roll up and place seam side down in the crock-pot.
- Brush the tops of the taquitos with a small amount of oil.
- Sprinkle the tops of the taquitos with a small amount of sea salt.
- Cook in the slow-cooker on high for 2.5-4 hours, or on low 6-8 hours.
- Optional, broil taquitos for a few minutes to crisp taquitos.
Optional Oven Directions:
- Place filled taquitos seam side down on a greased baking sheet.
- Bake in a preheated 425 degree oven for 15-20 minutes, until they turn a nice, golden brown.
Recipe by Practical Stewardship at https://practical-stewardship.com/2012/03/31/crock-pot-or-not-chicken-taquitos-recipe/