Spinach Feta Omelet~a great protein packed start to the day or a fantastic upside down day (breakfast for dinner) idea.
I love adding veggies to our omelets. When I make something with veggies, it’s hard for me not to add all the veggies we have. I feel like I already have the cutting board and knife out to cut, what’s another moment to wash and cut some more veggies. It’s such a great way to get additional veggies in your diet. You can add, subtract, and substitute different veggies with this recipe. If I would have thought about it, I would have added carrots, too. This post is inspired by Gluten Free A-Z.
The first time we had this, it was actually for dinner on a busy night. I knew it was going to be a crazy day, so in the morning when life was a bit more calm, I beat all of my eggs, cut, and washed the veggies so at night I could just pour the eggs and move quickly when dinnertime arrived.
The Verdict: Such a yummy dish!! We are in love with feta. It really adds bite and abundant flavor to a dish. We love having upside down day (breakfast for dinner)! This dish stuck with me so much that I didn’t even have dessert that night, which is highly out of the ordinary for me. And of course we love it for breakfast as well! I like when we have leftovers to since they reheat nicely.
What is your favorite breakfast-for-dinner dish?
Spinach Feta Omelet
Yield 8 Omelets
- 8 eggs, beaten
- 1/4 cup milk (use water for dairy-free)
- 2 T grape seed oil (avocado or olive oil will work too)
- 1 t Italian seasonings
- dash Cayenne pepper
- 1 cup loosely packed cilantro, chopped
- 1 cup loosely packed spinach, chopped
- 1/4 cup scallions, chopped
- 1/4 cup green bell pepper, diced
- 1/4 cup red bell pepper, diced
- 1/2 cup crumbled feta cheese (omit for dairy-free)
- salsa, optional
- salt and pepper to taste
- Generously oil the bottom of a small pan or skillet, and heat to medium. The smaller the skillet, the easier it is to flip the omelet.
- In medium bowl place eggs, milk (or water), Italian seasonings, and Cayenne pepper in a medium bowl, and whisk until combined.
- Combine all vegetables and feta in a medium bowl, and stir until combined.
- Place about 1/3 cup of the egg mixture in the heated skillet and swirl if needed until it covers the bottom of the skillet. Heat eggs until they are mostly cooked.
- Top about 1/4 cup of the veggie mixture on only one half of the egg.
- Fold over half of the omelet, and cook for another minute.
- Garnish with more cilantro, cheese, and tomatoes or salsa if desired.