Crock-pot Meaty Chili with a Stove-Top Option
- 1 Onion, chopped
- 3 Carrots, coined
- 3 Celery ribs, chopped
- 2 Tbs Avocado, Olive or Coconut Oil, optional for sautéing
- 3-15 ounce cans (or 4 1/2 cups) of Kidney Beans, drained and rinsed
- 3 Tbs Chili Powder
- 1 cup Kale, stems removed and diced
- 3 Tbs Tomato Paste
- 1 1/2 cups Water or Broth
- 1 pound Ground Beef
- 1-15 ounce can Diced Tomatoes
Slow Cooker Instructions
- Optional, saute the onions, carrots, and celery in a cast iron skillet until onions are translucent, and the vegetables are soften.
- Brown ground beef on medium heat.
- Place ground beef and sautéed vegetables along with the remaining ingredients in the crock-pot.
- Cover and cook on high for 3-4 hours, or on low for 6-9 hours or until carrots are thoroughly cooked. For a saucier soup, add more water or broth by the 1/4 cup until desired consistency is reached.
- Top with your favorite cheese or cheese substitute, green onions, tomatoes, cilantro, or whatever your heart desires.
Stove Top Instructions
- In a 5-6 quart Dutch oven, brown ground beef on medium heat. Add oil, and sauté the onions, carrots, and celery in oil until onions are translucent or browning.
- Add remaining ingredients to the Dutch oven, and cook until thoroughly heated, stirring occasionally about 30 minutes. For a saucier soup, add more water or broth by the 1/4 cup until desired consistency is reached.
Recipe by Practical Stewardship at https://practical-stewardship.com/2016/02/13/crock-pot-meaty-chili-with-a-stove-top-option/