My Easy DIY 5 Minute Layered Haircut & Free Kids’ Haircut @ JC Penney in August

I don’t know a quicker and more accurate haircut then this 5 minute layered girls haircut. If you have never cut hair before, to save money you should consider cutting hair.  You can save hundreds and hundreds of dollars by cutting the family’s hair every year, depending how many people are in your family.

5 Minute Layered Hair Cut

DIY Time

It’s DIY Time again, where I post something you can do yourself rather than buy, which is a money saver, and can be VERY REWARDING.  Some of these posts are crafts, sewing projects, homemade cleaners, homemade health aids, tutorials, and the like. **Updated 1/14.

Growing up my dad ALWAYS cut my hair.  When I was eleven or twelve I really, REALLY wanted to get my hair cut in a salon, and he finally let me go and waste spend about $10 or $12 at a Fantastic Sam’s or some place like that for what amounted to basically a trim.  Not worth it.  Now since I’ve been an adult, I have had my hair cut at some pretty nice places a handful of times, but usually my husband cuts it.

Five Minute Layered Hair Cut

If you think you might be thinking of cutting hair, ATTEMPT THIS AT YOUR OWN RISK!  If you have never cut hair before, an ad you are about to embark on the fine art of cutting hair, tell yourself you are going to go pay for a haircut anyway.  That way if this turns out awful for you, you were going to get a haircut anyway, and getting a free haircut is just bonus if this works out (plus you won’t blame me then).  This haircut works best on shoulder length to long hair.

Experimenting on girls hair is perfect, because their hair is forgiving, and they are more forgiving, too, then let’s say an adult:).  Now that I may have freaked you out, honestly, this haircut is so easy, I’ve never messed up on it.  I’ve never had to go to the salon to make any corrections.

Fast Layered Hair Cutting Tutorial:

1. Start with clean, damp, combed hair.
  2. Make a piggy tail near each ear (pulling that hair in the back toward the ears helps you get nice layers).
  3. Make sure the hair is even, and cut straight across the bottom of each piggy tail.
  4. Release the hair, and it is layered!

5 Minute Layered Hair Cut Tutorial Collage

It really is so easy, you should give it a try!  I love cutting my girls’ hair this way!  This particular hair cut including brushing took just over 3 minutes. Unfortunately I didn’t get a good picture of Ellie’s hair here in the back, as she was tilted.

Oops! There was a slight breeze in the picture below.

DIY 5 Minute Layered Hair Cut

Do you need ideas on how to save money on school pictures?

Saving Money with School Pictures

Have you read…?

Re-purposed Mesh Bags to Scouring Pad Scrubbies @ practical-stewardship.com

This post may contain affiliate links that cost you no more money, but support our blogging efforts. Thank you! Sharing at Weekend Potluck and some of these great link parties.

Featured @ Made from Pinterest

SLT Featured Post Badge

& One Creative Weekend.

Comments

1. Courtney says

Of course you post this after I chopped off half my daughter’s hair today trying to make it straight – she kept moving. Thanks for the tip. I will definitely keep it in mind for next time. :) New follower

• Sonja says

HI Courtney, Even if they are moving in the haircut, it’s much easier to get a consistent cut. Thanks for visiting!

• Sonja says

Thanks Rachel! I am too frugal to bring my kids to a salon, too. I’d love to know how it goes. Thanks for visiting!

2. Miranda says

I always take my daughter in because I’m no good with hair, but I also always hate the way it comes out. I’m totally going to try this. Thanks for the tips!

3. Dawn@OneFaithfulMom says

I’ve been cutting my kids’ hair for years now. Just trimmed my 17 yr old daughter’s on Saturday. The price they charge for cutting kids’ hair is outrageous!! I hopped over here from Raising Arrows!

4. Heidi says

Awesome! I cut my kids’ hair, too. I tried layering on one of them last time. It came out pretty uneven, but I was able to fix it. Next time, I’ll try this! Thanks for linking up at One Creative Weekend. I’ll be featuring you tomorrow! Please come grab a featured button and link up anything new you’d like to share at OneCreativeMommy.com.

5. 'Becca says

Great article! My parents cut my hair until I was 14 and started doing it myself. I’ve only had one pro haircut, and I was snipping at it a few hours later…not worth it!

My best tip for easy hair styling is to French braid the front part of your hair straight back, leaving hair loose to cover your ears and behind that. Continue the braid for a while down the back of your head without adding more hair, and put on an elastic. Now your hair is out of your eyes but still “long.” If I braid mine wet, it stays done for two days with minimal maintenance, even though I wear hats. So convenient!

6. Holly says

I enjoyed reading this post. I love doing “home hair” – I call it. Two of my sisters are hair dressers – I think it runs in the family so I have been known to do my own and my kids’ and hubby’s hair. :) I have screwed mine up huge before – so I try not to touch it anymore.

7. Cathy@My1929Charmer says

Great idea, but hubs hair is not long enough to put in pony tail (haha). Great way to save money! Thanks for sharing your creative inspiration with Sunday’s Best – you helped make the party a success!

8. Sharolyn says

Super idea. I am sharing this with my daughter! I have been cutting my own hair since I was 16 and am now in my 60′s. I had 4 boys and a girl and cut all their hair til they left home. I still cut my husband’s, tho it takes less and less time to cut. :) Wish I had known this tip years ago! Thanks for sharing! Another great way for families to save $$ in this economy.

• Sonja says

I read about it in the 80s and have done that old style several times, always needing some adjustments. This one is very efficient. Thanks for visiting!!

9. Michele says

Should the part be down the middle or parted like normal? (Mine is off center to the left.) Thanks. I’m going to try this! My hair is long, so if I mess up there will be some left to have fixed! :)

• Sonja says

Hi Michele, I actually just cut my hair 3 days ago using this method. I have a part on the side, naturally. To cut my hair, I parted it in the middle. Then I brushed my hair like normal (with my side part), and just made a couple of trims as needed. I hope this helps!

10. Len says

I have just spent HOURS on your website. I have never found anything as informative, fun, and addictive. I now have long lists of things to try including recipes, sewing, homemade products, and now even a haircut. I’m starting with the haircut as I’m like you and don’t care if it’s not perfect. I always wear a ponytail! Thanks for all the great information.

• Sonja says

Hi Len, Thanks for your encouragement! In fact I have the haircut on my to-do list for tomorrow as we are getting ready to get back to school the following week. Blessings!

11. Kyle says

We have been cutting hair for a few years and all I can say is practice makes perfect. I think my favorite line in this post is “Attempt this at your own risk” this is the truth! I have cut hair to short and we have curly headed kids so it looked like they had springs for bangs. I have cut a bald spot in my hubbys hair. But now these dangers and mishaps are less likely, due to practice. I have a frugal link-up on Fridays and I’d love to have you join it! Blessings!Kyle

12. Jelli says

Sonja, this looks great! I couldn’t have guessed how easy it was to do. My little girl hasn’t yet had a hair cut and I don’t really want to spend money on it anytime soon, so I might just try this when hers gets a little longer.