Chocolate Peanut Butter Banana Ice Cream-a naturally sweet whole foods treat!
Chocolate Peanut Butter Banana Ice Cream is one of the healthiest sweet treats of the summer in our house. Sometimes I don’t even count this as dessert because it’s so healthy! I mean when the base is bananas, no other sweetener is needed since bananas drip with sweetness. And cocoa powder? And peanuts? And coconut cream? Four great ingredients! And we just can’t resist the joining of chocolate and peanuts together. Heaven, as my daughter would say.
I keep chopped frozen bananas in the freezer so I can fashion the ice cream at a moment’s notice. You HAVE to chop those bananas prior to freezing otherwise your food processor or blender is going to chug-a-lug-a-lug and die. Don’t ask how I know. It still might die, anyway, so just take it slowly. Totally worth it, though. Often times if I know banana ice cream is on the dessert list for that evening, I freeze the sliced bananas that afternoon, freeze them on a tray, and I am ready for an after-dinner treat. I also have individually sliced bananas frozen in snack bags. So if you have those frozen bananas handy, you can have banana ice cream in less than ten minutes. Seriously. And no ice cream maker or rock salt required. What’s not to love? Minimal ingredients, minimal time, healthy, and big on sweetness, flavor and texture!
The frozen bananas make this a dairy-free vegan fare that doesn’t leave you feeling deprived or missing dairy in the slightest. Plus you can top this with peanuts and chocolate chips for additional texture.
We’ve been making non-dairy banana-based ice creams for a couple of years now, and this is by far our family’s favorite variation of the recipe. We do prefer to use peanuts over peanut butter because it creates a bit more of a crunchy texture, but I’ve used both. I have even been known to throw in a little spinach (it might show little green flecks if you do) or pour in more almond or coconut milk to make a milkshake instead of an ice cream.
Chocolate Peanut Butter Banana Ice Cream
- 2 frozen bananas, peeled & sliced into coins prior to freezing
- 1/4 cup peanuts or peanut butter (or other nut butters)
- 2 T cocoa powder
- 2 T coconut cream (I use Trader Joe's brand) or you can use a non-dairy milk
- Place the frozen bananas, peanuts or peanut butter, cocoa powder, and coconut cream or milk in the food processor or high powered blender, and process until smooth, scraping down sides occasionally.
- If needed add more milk, and process until smooth.
- Eat as is, or freeze for 30-60 minutes so you can scoop it out like ice cream, and enjoy!!
Have you tried Chocolate Chip Almond Butter Banana Ice Cream? DF