Crock-pot Chicken & Dumplings
Comfort food. Soups. Chicken and Dumplings. Yum! It’s been awhile since I have made chicken and dumplings. And you know what? It really doesn’t take that much longer to prepare than a traditional crock-pot soup. I really should do it more often. I know my family would be happy if I did.
The Verdict: My Abbie-girl asked me why had it been so long since I made Chicken & Dumplings. I told her there are so many things I want to make; I just can’t make them all, all of the time. I wish…
I think diced potatoes, peas, and green beans would all make great additions.
The last time I made this recipe I made the dumplings dairy-free. Instead of using the dumpling ingredients I listed above which is what I would normally use, I used half of a batch of sourdough dough I had left over from a sourdough crusted pizza I made, and then shaped the dough into tablespoon-sized dumplings. It worked great! Sourdough is just so flexible!
Go here for the complete list of recipes.
Chicken & Dumplings Soup
- Soup Ingredients
- 5 cups filtered water
- 3 cups (32 oz.) chicken broth
- 2-3 cups shredded chicken, depending how chicken-dense you want it or how much is available to you
- 3 carrots, diced
- 2-3 stalks celery, diced
- 1 large onion, diced
- 3 cloves of garlic, minced or 3 T minced garlic
- 1 t parsley
- 1/2 t salt, or to taste
- 1/2 t freshly ground pepper
- Dumpling Ingredients (See The Verdict Section below for a dairy-free option)
- 1 1/2 cups whole wheat flour
- 1 1/4 cups plain or Greek yogurt
- 1 t baking powder
- 1 t salt
- optional, 1 t garlic powder
- optional, 1 t dried rosemary
- Throw all your soup ingredients minus dumpling ingredients into the crock-pot.
- Cook on high for 4-5 hours or on low for 7-8 hours. The vegetables need to be tender.
- While the soup is cooking, mix dumpling ingredients together, rolling them into tablespoon-sized dumplings.
- Place dumplings in the crock-pot in the last hour of cooking, and cover.
- Cool and enjoy!