This is a dish that I will make two batches at a time, and will bake one (@ 350 degrees, 35 minutes) and slow cook the other. Making two batches is a big time saver (which means it’s a money saver) since I am going through the work to put this dish together and going through the whole clean up process.
I love throwing extra veggies into dishes like this to increase vegetable intake in our family. This recipe is very flexible. If you don’t have the bell pepper, spinach, and/or beans, it will still work. Substituting is allowed, too.
- 1 cup enchilada sauce, divided
- 1-2 cups cooked, shredded chicken or cooked ground beef
- 1 can (approx. 15 oz.) of chopped tomatoes or tomato sauce
- 1 can (approx. 15 oz.) refried beans
- 1 can (approx. 15 oz.) black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1/2 cup loose spinach, chopped finely
- 1/2 green bell pepper chopped
- 1/2 red bell pepper chopped
- 1 yellow onion
- diced 1 garlic, minced, or 1 T garlic powder
- dash of cayenne pepper
- 1 T Italian seasonings
- 1 T pepper
- 6 tortillas, or as many as needed to layer
- 1 cup cheddar cheese, shredded (I also used a little mozzarella)
- Cover the bottom of the slow cooker with a thin layer of enchilada sauce to prevent sticking, approximately 3 Tbs.
- Mix remaining ingredients together minus tortillas, enchilada sauce and cheese.
- Layer the tortillas, cutting as needed to fit the slow cooker.
- Layer chicken mixture on top of tortillas.
- Continue alternating the remaining tortilla and chicken mixture.
- Top with enchilada sauce and cheese.
- Cook on high for 4-5 hours or low for 6-8 hours.
The Verdict: This is a family fave, and frankly, I don’t make it enough! Sometimes I sprinkle the leftover crumbs from the bottom of our tortilla chip bags onto the enchilada casserole before or after cooking. I love using the seemingly unusable and giving it purpose, kind of like what God does with us.
Other crock-pot recipes you may enjoy:
Go here for a complete list of recipes.
We would love to hear from you! Get free e-mail updates by subscribing here. Follow us on Pinterest, Facebook and Twitter. “Moreover, it is required of stewards that they be found faithful” (1 Corinthians 4:2 ESV). Thanks for visiting!
Shared @ URS.