Raw Vegan 3 Ingredient Lara Bar-Inspired Ball Recipe

Lara Bar Balls

Do you need to bring a quick dessert to a party?  Here is a recipe that requires no baking, is fast, tasty, and best of all, is TOTALLY healthy for you!

Chocolate Lara Bar BallsI was on a trip with a group of friends, and on the car ride my friend Jen gave me a Peanut Butter Cookie Lara Bar. It absolutely rocked my world.  It was so good, and I looked on the back of the label for ingredients and saw it only had three ingredients, dates, peanuts, and salt.  I COULDN’T believe it.  With only 3 ingredients, I thought I could attempt it.  After the trip, I came home and googled “Homemade Lara Bars” and found Chocolate Covered Katie.

The Lara Bar introduced me to the wonderful world of dates, yes, dates!!  Using dates is a way to create “no sugar” recipes and gluten free recipes, because they bring a sweetness to every recipe and they hold or glue ingredients together.  Dates are really amazing.  If you haven’t “baked” with them before, you really should give them a chance.  I have been buying them every week at WinCo in the bulk section now, where they have THE best prices for dates (and for the walnuts, too).  The whole pitted dates only cost $2.40/lb.!!  At Fred Meyer the pitted dates were $8/lb., and Trader Joe’s they were in the $4 or $5 range with the pits, and it was the pits to pit them.

Also, I didn’t have the cashews, so I, instead, used walnuts.  Here it goes.

Raw Vegan 3 Ingredient Lara Bar Ball Recipe

Ingredients

• 1 cup of dates
  • 1/2 cup walnuts
  • 1/3 cup oatmeal (use certified gluten free oats if needed, or you can omit the oats. The balls will just be more moist.)

Instructions

1. Blend all ingredients in a food processor until the mixture forms one big ball.
  2. Remove, and roll into 1 inch balls.
  3. Enjoy!
  4. Refrigerate leftovers in an airtight container for up to a week.
Schema/Recipe SEO Data Markup by ZipList Recipe Plugin

The Variations and helpful hints:

• In the 1st picture above, after the processing all the ingredients, I added pecans.
  • In the 2nd picture above, I put 2 T of cocoa powder to make what I call, Chocolate Lara Balls.
  • Besides walnuts, I have used pecans, cashews, peanuts, and/or a nut butter for the nut.
  • You can also add 2 T of protein powder, shape into bars and eat them as a protein bar, as pictured below.
  • I often double the recipe or 1 1/2 the recipe.
  • If the mixture is too moist, gradually add more oats.
  • If the mixture is too dry (this has happened to me when my oatmeal came out too fast), add more dates.

I am not a vegan, but on the quest for better healthy, you simply can’t ignore some excellent, nutrient dense vegan fare.

We would love to hear from you!  Get free e-mail updates by subscribing here.  Follow us on Pinterest, Facebook and Twitter. “Moreover, it is required of stewards that they be found faithful” (1 Corinthians 4:2 ESV). Thanks for visiting!

Sonja

Have you read…?

20 Frugal & Healthy Snacks

Shared @ Frugal Days Sustainable Ways, Welcome Home Wednesday, Real Food Wednesday, Wheat Free Wednesday, Healthy 2day Wednesdays, Works for Me Wednesday, One Project at a Time, Slightly Indulgent Tuesday, Talent Show Tuesday, Fat Tuesday, Welcome Home, Homestead Barn Hop, Monday Funday, Made By You Monday, Metamorphosis Monday, Sew Darn Crafty, Church Supper, Sundae Scoop, Sweet & Simple Sunday, Strut Your StuffPrudent Projects & Smart Solutions, Weekend Wrap Up Party, Weekend Potluck, Free-for-All Friday, Fit & Fabulous Friday, Freaky Friday, Food Renegade, Chic & Crafty, Crumbs & Chaos, Wellness Weekend, Raw Foods Thursday, Simple Lives Thursday, Pennywise Platter Thursday36th Ave., The Purposeful Mom, & This Chick Cooks.

About Sonja

Sonja is a lover of the Lord, family, and friends. She digs DIY (especially re-purposing), fancies fitness, foods (whole), & fellowship. She is a thrifty thinker and jives with jazz. “Moreover, it is required of stewards that they be found faithful” (1 Corinthians 4:2 ESV). Thanks for visiting!
This entry was posted in Desserts, Food, Gluten Free, Healthier Recipes, Healthier Recipes, Healthy Recipes, Lactose Free, Snacks. Bookmark the permalink.

27 Responses to Raw Vegan 3 Ingredient Lara Bar-Inspired Ball Recipe

1. Keri says:

Pecans taste really good in these too! I have also used raisins when I have been out of dates!

• Jonathan says:

Yeah, Sonja has snuck pecan halves in the middle for a little surprise. I love this dessert, big time. Raisins instead of dates? Hmm. Good tip. Gracias!

2. Sonja says:

I’ve seen raisins used before, but I haven’t done it. Does it taste “raisiny” at all?

3. I love Lara Bars! I need to make these ASAP!

• Sonja says:

I had not eaten a Lara Bar in 5 months, and then I had one last week on a trip. It was good, but not as good as the fresh homemade ones. I am sure you will love them!!

4. Yum! Thanks so much for sharing this quick, healthy and frugal alternative to packaged snacks at Thrifty Thursday!

5. I keep seeing Lara bars everywhere now and I’ve never made them before because I didn’t know they were so easy! Thank you for sharing your recipe at Thrifty Thursday! Come on back next week :)

6. Debbie says:

I just love seeing all your recipes….my sister to used work for the company that produced the Lara Bars so I used to get them all the time. I saw a recipe to make them awhile back but never did….now you have inspired me to do it. Thanks.

7. I follow Choc Covered Katie and am learning to make many dishes with dates…love all the combo varieties for making larabars…this will be made and scarfed up soon. Thanks so much for sharing at Weekend Potluck!

8. six sisters says:

So excited to try a Lara Bar. They look yummy! Thanks for sharing on our “Strut Your Stuff Saturday”. Hope you come back next week. -The Sisters

9. I’m getting ready to head to the kitchen to make some of these today. MMMM! Wanted to let you know I’m featuring this recipe as a personal favorite at Weekend Potluck this week (opens on Friday). Please come back soon and bring along another one of your wonderful recipes. http://www.thebetterbaker.blogspot.com

10. Amee says:

Mmmmm….these wouldn’t last long in my house!! Thank you for sharing on Fit and Fabulous Fridays! :)

11. I love you… Have I said that before? If not, well I do :) Thanks for sharing this, Sonja. I love dates and have been wanting to get more into using them for things like this and this recipe is just too darn easy not to try. Thanks again. Another pin! :)

12. Thank you for sharing these with us at Raw Foods Thursdays! I love raw cookies. Love the simplicity and pureness of your recipe. I’ve made a similar one with cashews…definitely not frugal though! Walnuts sound yummy, and much more economical!

13. These look so yummy! I’m always in need of a healthy filling snack! Stopping by from Healthy 2day Wednesdays

14. Jelli says:

These sound great! I’m pregnant and on the lookout for healthy sweets to curb my sweet tooth. Love this.

• Sonja says:

Hi Jelli, We absolutely love this recipe. It’s easy to swap out different nuts, and it’s a nice sweet, natural treat. Blessings on your new little one to come!

15. DesignedByBH says:

These look fabulous! I’m pinning…and actually making!!! :)

16. Heather says:

What type of dates do you use? The big Majool or the smaller ones referred to as baking dates?

• Sonja says:

Hi Heather, I just use the dates in our local grocery store bulk foods area, and they don’t indicate the specific type of date. Sorry about that!