Homemade Astringent

Homemade Lemon Astringent

Thrifty Thinking

DIY Time

It’s DIY Time again, where every week I try to post something you can do yourself rather than buy, which is a money saver, and can be VERY REWARDING.  Some of these posts are crafts, sewing projects, homemade cleaners, homemade health aids, tutorials, and the like.

As we finish off different commercial products in our house, I am researching to see if there are homemade alternatives that are healthier, greener, and/or more frugal.  A few months ago as I was finishing my commercial astringent, I knew it was time to research.  I love that this recipe I found has only two simple ingredients!  So many of the things you can make on your own are so fast and way cheaper.

The witch hazel is an inexpensive ingredient, as is lemon juice.  I used lemon juice out of a bottle, and I bought real whole lemons, squeezed them and made a different concoction.  I prefer the freshly squeezed lemons.

I reused my old astringent holder for this, so save your old bottles and containers as you finish them.

The Ingredients:

• 2 parts witch hazel
  • 1 part lemon juice

The Instructions:

• Mix and store in an airtight container for daily use.
  • Shake before using if needed.

I made this using the juice of a lemon for one batch, and the other batch I used store-bought lemon juice.  I think I prefer using the juice of a lemon because it seems a bit stronger, tightening pores a bit more.  You do have to strain it, though, so choose your battle.  The commercial lemon juice mixes better with the witch hazel, giving the astringent an even look.    I didn’t strain my freshly juiced lemon astringent well, and I had to shake each time before using.  Not a big deal.  They both work about the same when you come down to it, so I really recommend either version.

The Verdict: I use it morning and night and like how it is gentler than commercial astringents, but it still feels like it works, cleans and tightens pore.  It’s a very nice balance.  I am done with store bought astringents!

We would love to hear from you!  Get free e-mail updates by subscribing here.  Follow us on Pinterest, Facebook and Twitter. “Moreover, it is required of stewards that they be found faithful” (1 Corinthians 4:2 ESV). Thanks for visiting!

Sonja

Have you made your own…?

Shared @ Natural Living Thursday, Your Green Resource, Thrifty Thursday, It’s a Keeper Thursday, Home is Where the Heart Is Wed., Healthy 2day Wednesday, Works for Me Wednesday, Whole Foods Wednesday, Frugal Days, Sustainable Ways, Simply Sensational Tuesday, Tip Me Tuesday, Tiny Tip Tuesday, Welcome Home Link up, Better Mom Monday, Homestead Barn Hop, Morristribes Homestead Blog Carnival, Heavenly TreatsSimply Natural Saturdays, Say G’day, Prudent Projects Smart Solutions, Inspiration Friday, Small Footprint Friday, Frugal Friday, Weekend Whatever, Chic & Crafty.

Featured @

Feminine Adventures

About Sonja

Sonja is a lover of the Lord, family, and friends. She digs DIY (especially re-purposing), fancies fitness, foods (whole), & fellowship. She is a thrifty thinker and jives with jazz. “Moreover, it is required of stewards that they be found faithful” (1 Corinthians 4:2 ESV). Thanks for visiting!
This entry was posted in DIY, Money Saving Ideas, Natural & Homemade Health Aids Recipes, Thrifty Thinking, Upcycling & Repurposing. Bookmark the permalink.

15 Responses to Homemade Astringent

1. Keri says:

What is your facial care routine? Cleanser, Astringent, Moisturizer? Morning and Evening?

• Sonja says:

I take a night shower, so I wash my face in the shower with an oatmeal soap. I use this astringent every morning. No morning cleansers, and no moisturizer at all.

2. Joyce says:

I have never used an astringent, but do wash my face in both the morning, and at night. Could I use this twice a day after washing? What type of results have you had?

• Sonja says:

Hi Joyce, Yes, you can use this after washing twice a day. My face feels clean without the extremely harsh chemicals. I love it!

3. Great idea and great site.

I did make my own baby wipe baby wipe solution for awhile, but I was using it with paper towels. I am afraid, that with 3 children under the age of 6, I gave up on cloth diapers, cloth wipes, cloth napkins and the such for now. I should try again, though:-)

4. I bet this smells so good with the lemon! I’m pinning this! I’m trying out toners right now, trying to find my favorite.

5. I use witch hazel by itself, as it is more gentle than rubbing alcohol; however, I like the idea of combining it with lemon juice. :)

6. I can’t tell you how much I love this, Sonja! I’m currently doing the oil cleansing method at night (which I love!), and am dabbling in a new idea I just found for washing with honey in the morning. I’ve been thinking that if I find a good, simple astringent to use when I feel it’s necessary, then I’d have a nice, complete face routine that I want to blog about. I’m totally going to link this post with it, if you don’t mind :)

Thanks a mil for linking up with Tiny Tip Tuesday!

7. Helen says:

Hi…I was wondering if the witch hazel/lemon juice combo was drying? Is it more drying then the commercial astringent/toners?

I tried my own homemade green tea toner and it was refreshing since I kept it in the fridge but still found it a bit drying – which I never thought it would be.

• Sonja says:

Hi Helen, I have not found that this astringent is drying at all. I have used commercial astringents before, and this is more mild, not made with all of those harsh chemicals. Thanks for visiting!

8. I’m all about DIY homemade stuff for the home and I love how it’s only TWO simple ingredients! Witchazel is amazing stuff! I have posted on our blog a entry just dedicated to the awesome uses of witchazel that’s how much i love the stuff! haha. Please come share this at our link party – “Home is Where the Heart is” Homesteading and Homemaking http://www.homesteadsimple.com/home-is-where-the-heart-is-link-it-up-wednesdays-2/ Please feel free to link any other posts you’d like to share!

9. I love this! Thank you for linking up at H2W last week, I hope you’ll join us this week with another great post!

10. I enjoy making various different facial toners at home, and avoiding commercial products. Thanks for sharing your recipe. ;o)

11. Love this!!! Especially that its made from safe not harmful ingredients and great for the environment! I would love if you would share this over at my blog hop http://www.ablossominglife.com/2012/12/diy-liquid-laundry-detergent-video.html