Do you want to feed your family SUPER healthy, AND REALLY tasty food? May be I am TOTALLY weird, but when I saw this recipe for Secret Ingredient Brownies, I
had to give it a shot. Even though no one in our family is gluten-free, I love to find recipes that have no flour it them as we are moving away from white flour. We still occasionally eat food with white flour, but now it is in moderation and doesn’t dominate our lifestyle like it did in the past.
I tried this recipe a few times and modified it a bit. I had several people try this, and NO ONE could guess the secret ingredient…BLACK BEANS!!! Some said they were really “moist”, “fluffy”, “had chocolatey goodness”, all like a real brownie. One did think they might be gluten-free (this person has a mom that is g-f). If you like brownies, you have got to try these at least once!!! You just can’t make a fair assessment without first trying these.
- 1-15.5 oz. can black beans, WELL-RINSED and drained
- 3 eggs (update 4/23/12-I now use 2 eggs and it still comes out great!)
- 2 T butter (I used the coconut oil, too)
- 1/3 cup cocoa powder
- 1 dash of salt
- 2 T vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup honey (I've also used organic sugar)
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts, optional (I like it with nuts better, myself:)
- 1/4-1/2 cup dark chocolate chips, optional
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Blend all ingredients except the chocolate chips and nuts in a high powered blender (I don't know, but I am guessing a food processor would work, too).
- Grease an 8x8 baking pan.
- Pour batter in the pan.
- Top with walnuts and chocolate chips if you wish.
- Bake for approximately 30 minutes or until a toothpick can come out of the middle clean (if you use chocolate chips, this may not happen since they melt in the oven).
This particular batch cracked a bit, but still came out together and not crumbly. I did over mix the batter in the blender, so try to avoid that.
Did you make these? Did you fool anyone? What did you think?
Have you checked out our complete recipe list here? We would love to hear from you! Feel free to comment. Get free e-mail updates by subscribing here. Follow us on Facebook and Twitter. “Moreover, it is required of stewards that they be found faithful” (1 Corinthians 4:2 ESV). Thanks for visiting!
Have you tried…?
This recipe has been shared @ Allergy Free Wednesday, Wonderful Food Wednesday, Your Whims Wednesday, What’s Cookin’ Wednesday, Frugal Days Sustainable Ways, One Project at a Time Tuesday, Saturday Nite Special, Fresh Bites Friday, Fit & Fabulous Friday, I’m Lovin’ It, Sweet Temptations Thursday, Foodie Friday Tons of Recipes, Anything Goes, Fight Back Friday, Friday Food Flicks, Homemaking Link Up, Metamorphosis Monday, Scrumptious Sunday, Saturday Show & Tell, Sweet Saturdays, Waste Not Want Not Wednesday, Whole Foods Wednesday, Welcome Home Link Up, Mix It Up Monday, Fab Friday, Sweets for a Saturday, Strut Your Stuff, One Creative Weekend, Heavenly Treats Sunday, Sweet & Simple Sundays, Real Food Wednesdays, Women Living Well, Allergy Free Wednesdays, Sweet as Sugar, Everyday Tastes, Crumbs and Chaos, Jennifer Cooks, Tasty Tuesday, Tip Me Tuesdays, The Frugal Girls, The Nourishing Gourmet, day2dayjoys and This Chick Cooks.