There is something so intriguing to me about fashioning food without dairy or flour and the creations tasting close to, as good, or better than the standard creations. My food journey really started taking off when I started living on my own in 1995. It has been an incremental journey, taking baby steps. There have been some big stepping stones along the way, but the past nine months has propelled me further along than all seventeen years combined. It started with the date back in August of 2011 when my friend Jen gave me a Lara Bar. Since then, I’ve purchased many bunches of dates.
Raw Raspberry Creamy “Cheesecake” Delight
- The Crust Ingredients:
- 1/2 cup raw almonds (other nuts will work)
- 1/2 cup dates (soaked for 2 hours will make them easier to work with)
- The Filling Ingredients:
- 1 ½ cups raw cashews, soaked for at least 2 hours
- juice of 2 lemons
- 1 t vanilla extract
- 1/3 cup coconut oil, melted
- 1/3 cup honey, warmed (agave for vegan)
- 1 cup blueberries or raspberries (I have used frozen, and it's worked with both fruits)
- Process the almonds and dates. The longer they process, the finer the crust, so it's up to you. Add more dates if the almonds and dates don't stick together.
- Fill a pie plate or muffin liners with your crust, and press it down well.
- Combine the coconut oil and honey.
- Put all filling ingredients minus the blueberries in a high powered blender, and blend until smooth and creamy.
- Pour 2/3-3/4 of your filling mixture into the pie crust(s-if you are making mini "cheesecakes").
- Smooth out the filling. I used a spatula.
- Place the berries in with the remaining mixture, and blend until smooth. You may see some flecks of fruit.
- Pour berry mixture on top of the pie plate.
- Freeze to solidify, and enjoy!
The Verdict: This such a smooth recipe (if you have a high powered blender). The second time I made it, I used a little less honey than the recipe calls for because it’s so sweet. If you like sweet, use the full amount of honey.
Need a lactose-free Alfredo sauce recipe?
Go here for the complete list of recipes.
We would love to hear from you! Feel free to comment. Get free e-mail updates by subscribing here. Follow us on Facebook and Twitter. “Moreover, it is required of stewards that they be found faithful” (1 Corinthians 4:2 ESV). Thanks for visiting!
Shared @ Seasonal Recipe Round-Up, Wellness Weekend, Weekend Potluck, Under $100 (Thurs.) Link Party, Sweet Treats Thursday, Raw Foods Thursday, Tastetastic Thursday, Making Mondays Marvelous, Weekend Craft Soiree, Tuesday Treasures, Handmade Tuesday, Tempt My Tummy Tuesdays, Made By You Monday, Friday Food Flicks, TGIF, Friday Food, Fit & Fabulous Friday, Thrifty Thursday 101, Showcase Your Talent Thursdays, Whole Food Wednesday, Whole Foods Wednesday, Frugal Days, Sustainable Ways, Slightly Indulgent Tuesday, Creative Bloggers Party Hop, Tip Me Tuesday, Time Out Tuesday, Show & Tell Link Up, Savory Sunday, Heavenly Treats Sunday, Nifty Thrifty Sunday, Sweet & Simple Sundays, Sundae Scoop, Church Supper, Sweet Saturdays, Strut Your Stuff Saturday, Seasonal Inspirations, Chic & Crafty & It’s a Keeper Thursdays.