Since groceries prices can have a lot of flex, changing often, it’s always good to keep an eye on the prices for the groceries you buy. So every six months I take a more careful look at the grocery prices of the foods we buy most. These are the prices that I look for when purchasing groceries. The prices I am sharing reflect what I have found in the Pacific Northwest of Washington State.
Do you know the target prices for the groceries you buy the most? If you don’t, you could use this list as a guide, or keep a notebook of prices. Mindless buying can lead to a lack of stewardship of the resources God gives us. So I encourage you to know your grocery prices.
All of the grocery prices I have listed below are approximate and come from Snohomish County, Washington, reflecting prices that I have seen in the last 6 months. I HARDLY EVER need to buy above these given prices.
If I think it might be helpful to some, I have indicated the stores where I buy the particular food.
Grocery Prices to Meet or Beat
Baking & Bulk Section
- Almond Butter $4.73/lb.-C
- Almonds, Whole Raw $4.33/lb.-C
- Baking Soda $0.48/lb.-C
- Beans, Pinto $0.91/lb.-W (or organic at our local co-op for about $1.50/lb. or so)
- Beans, Black Turtle $0.99/lb.-W (or organic at our local co-op for about $1.50/lb. or so)
- Bread $2.20/loaf Whole Grain w/o high fructose corn syrup-C (I make sourdough bread, since I can make it for $0.61/loaf and it’s soaked as a frugal fresh choice, so I don’t buy it)
- Cashews, Pieces Raw $2.77/lb.-W I still can’t believe the price has stayed this low for so long.
- Chocolate Chip $2/lb.-C
- Coconut, Unsweetened $2.77/lb.-W
- Craisins, Dried $2.59/lb.-C
- Dates, Whole, Pitted $2.57/lb.!-W (WinCo still has an amazing price. If you don’t have a WinCo in your area, Trader Joe’s has a good price)
- Flax Seed $0.83/lb. (or I buy organic at the local co-op)
- Flour, Whole Wheat Unbl $0.40/lb.-W (I usually buy the white whole wheat at Trader Joe’s, which is completely whole wheat since it’s a little lighter to bake with)
- Honey $13/5 lbs.-C (I buy it BUY LOCAL when I can and pay more! When I was in Idaho in the fall I bought one gallon at the Moscow Farmer’s Market for $35!)
- Oat Bran $1.13/lb.-W
- Oats, Old Fashioned $0.61/lb.
- Oats, Organic Rolled $1.10/lb.-W
- Oats, Steel Cut $0.61/lb.-W (This makes such a frugal overnight breakfast for us)
- Olive Oil, Organic Extra Virgin $7.50/liter-C
- Peanut Butter, Natural $2.20/lb.-C
- Peanut Butter, Organic Kirkland $3.43/lb.-C
- Peanuts, Dry Roasted $1.58/lb.-W
- Pecan pieces $6.50/lb.-C
- Popcorn, Organic $1.50-$2/lb. or less-local co-op
- Quinoa, Organic $3/lb.-C
- Quinoa, Organic Red $3.85/lb.-W (a dramatic price drop)
- Raisins, Organic $2.13/lb.-C
- Rice, Long Grain Brown Rice $0.64/lb.
- Rice, Brown Short Grain Organic $1.12/lb.-C
- Salt, Sea $0.24/lb.-W
- Sugar, Organic Cane $1.15/lb.-C
- Tortillas, Organic $1.99/10 ct. package-Trader Joe’s (go here to see how to start bringing a Trader Joe’s to your area)
- Walnuts $5.83/lb.-C
- Wheat Berry Kernels $0.57/lb. to ground in the Vitamix for Wheat Flour
- Wheat Bran $0.39/lb.
- Wheat Germ $0.94/lb.
We continue to not eat a whole lot of beef and dairy. We still believe in eating it; we just think it’s good to eat a little less. Plus meat and dairy are expensive. We don’t buy everything on this list, but if I did, these are the prices I would pay if I did.
- Beef, Ground Lean 20 Percent Fat $3.30/lb.
- Beef, Ground, Organic, Kirkland Signature $4.25/lb.
- Butter $1.99/lb. (stock and freeze around the holidays)
- Butter, Organic $3.85/lb.-C
- Cheese, Med. Cheddar $5.50/32 oz.
- Chicken, Whole Fryers $0.99/lb.
- Chicken, Whole Fryers Organic $2.49/lb.-C
- Chicken, Legs Organic $1.99/lb.-C
- Eggs, Large $1.50/dozen
- Eggs, Cage-Free $2.50/dozen-Fred Meyer
- Eggs, Organic $3.50/dozen-C
- Ham $2.29/lb.
- Milk $2.50/gallon
- Milk, Organic $2.99/half gallon-Fred Meyer
- Milk, Raw $10/gallon
- Shrimp/Prawns $5.99/lb.
- Turkey $0.99/lb. or WAY better around Thanksgiving and Christmas
- Turkey, Ground $2.79/lb.-C
- Yogurt, Organic $2.99/32 oz. container-Fred Meyer
- Yogurt $0.40/6oz. (I mostly make our own yogurt, but when I see this price, I will buy it for a special treat.)
Fruit and Veggies
- Apples $0.98/lb.
- Apples, Organic $1.98/lb.-better than $2 at Trader Joe’s
- Asparagus $2.99/lb.
- Avocado, Hass $.88 ea-I buy organic at Trader Joe’s when I am there which is about $1-$1.25 each.
- Bananas $0.54/lb.
- Bananas, Organic $0.66/lb.-C
- Bell Pepper, Green $0.58-W
- Bell Pepper, Red, Orange, Yellow $1-W
- Blueberries, Frozen $2.20/lb.-C
- Broccoli $1-$1.50/lb. depending on the week-a lot of times Fred Meyer has their organic at prices under $2/lb.
- Cabbage, Red & Green $0.58/lb.
- Cantaloupe $0.99/lb.
- Carrots, Whole Organic $0.57/lb.-C
- Cauliflower $1-$1.50lb. ($1.50 organic at Fred Meyer)
- Celery $0.58/lb. ($1.99 organic at Fred Meyer)
- Cucumbers $0.58 ea.
- Ginger Root $1.99/lb. or less-W or Trader Joe’s
- Grapefruit $4.98/5 lb. bag
- Grapes, Red or Green Seedless $2.48/lb depending on time of year
- Kale $1.99/bunch-FM
- Kiwi $1.78/1 lb. bag
- Lemon $0.28 ea.-I buy organic at Trader Joe’s when I am there about $2 for a pound.
- Lettuce, Romaine Hearts $2/3 Ct. Package
- Lime $0.28 ea.-I buy organic at Trader Joe’s when I am there.
- Mango $1 ea., ($1.99 organic at Fred Meyer)
- Onion, Red $0.98/lb.-I buy organic at Trader Joe’s when I am there.
- Onion, Yellow $0.46/lb.-I buy organic at Trader Joe’s when I am there.
- Oranges $0.98/lb. –I buy organic at Trader Joe’s when I am there.
- Potatoes $2.98/15 lb. bag.-I buy organic at Trader Joe’s when I am there.
- Pears, Bartlett $0.98/lb.
- Pineapple $2.98 ea (depending on the time of year you can get them $1.99 like I did in February)
- Salad Green, Organic $4/16 oz.-C
- Spinach, Organic $4/16 oz.-C
- Tomatoes, any type $1/lb. (sometimes you can get them close to $0.88/lb.)
- Zucchini Squash $1/lb.
Pantry and Other Grocery Items
- Beans, Refried $0.88/16 oz. can
- Beans, Kidney, Black, Red, Chickpeas $0.50/15-16 oz. can-stocking up at Fred Meyer
- Beans, Canned Chickpeas, Red Organic $1/15-16 oz. can (when they go on sale at Fred Meyer, they sell their Simple Truths brand for about $1/can!!)
- BBQ Sauce $2.50/18 oz.-Trader Joe’s
- Cereal, Natural $1/box-Fred Meyer (once a year like it did last week!)
- Cereal, Organic $2.50/box (when their Simple Truth brand goes on sale at Fred Meyer)
- Coconut Oil, Organic $22.99/78 oz.-C still wins by a landslide even with a price increase!
- Spaghetti Sauce $1.25/24 oz. Glass Jar
- Spaghetti Sauce $0.99/24 oz. Can
- Salsa, Organic $7.85/76 oz.-C
- Tomatoes, Diced/Stewed, Organic $5.99/8-14.5 oz. cans ($0.75/can)
Have you seen lower prices than these? How do these prices compare to where you live? Please let us know how and where! We’d love you to share and for us to learn from you!!
- Go here to see the 130 + Grocery Item prices for Costco.
- Go here to see the 100 + Bulk Item prices for Winco.
Have you read…?
- Questions Worth Asking #11: Spending Money Prayerfully!
- Couponing and Extreme Couponing or Not
- What Does Your Checkbook Say About Your Heart?
- Three Practical Money-Saving Tips & More
GO HERE FOR THE COMPLETE LIST OF RECIPES.
THIS POST MAY CONTAIN AFFILIATE LINKS THAT COST YOU NO MORE MONEY, BUT SUPPORT OUR BLOGGING EFFORTS. THANK YOU!
SHARING AT SOME OF THESE GREAT LINK PARTIES.